12:00 PM GMT - 6:00 Central Standard Time (US & Mexico) - 01:00 PM GMT - 6:00 Central Standard Time (US & Mexico)
Can You Ethically Work From Home? Exploring the Necessity of Bar Admission to Work in Your State of Residence
The COVID pandemic has forced us all to work from home for an extended period of time. But what about afterwards? Many of us will likely continue to want to avoid commutes, parking, etc., and work at home even when it is safe to return to the office. If your home is in a state where you are not barred, can you do that? We will explore the approach to remote work under current state professional ethics rules and what the landscape may look like for telework post-COVID.
- Overview of the ethics rules regarding work-from-home - highlighting the few jurisdictions and an ABA opinion permitting work from home with certain limitations, but noting that most states do not yet have in place a mechanism for more than temporary work in a non-barred state.
- Outline the limitations attorneys must work under when living in a non-barred state.
- Provide recommendations for at-home practice to avoid problems with the local bar.
William L. Anderson, Crowell & Moring, LLP, Washington, DC USA
Scott Barabash, Aspen Insurance, San Francisco, CA USA
Lori Worthington Hurl, Forsberg & Umlauf P.S., Seattle, WA USA
For information on any upcoming Webinar, please visit the Webinar page on the IADC website.
IADC Zoom Links
If you’ve registered for a virtual IADC meeting and have had difficulty locating your Zoom link (each registrant receives a specific link to them), below are some helpful tips:
- After registering, you will receive an email from the IADC staffer coordinating the meeting which uses this firstname.lastname@example.org address to send your link. Please be sure you whitelist that address as it could get caught in your spam filters. In addition, you are able to add the meeting and your Zoom link to your calendar through this email.
- NEW! Your IADC website profile. We recently updated member profiles to include your links to any virtual IADC meeting for which you are registered. Go to your account, and when you click to view/edit your account, go to the “Meeting Participation” tab. There you'll find “Upcoming Virtual Meetings/Virtual Links” which includes your Zoom link for each of your registered meetings. You can copy and paste your specific Zoom link into your browser to join the meeting.