12:00 PM GMT - 6:00 Central Standard Time (US & Mexico) - 01:00 PM GMT - 6:00 Central Standard Time (US & Mexico)
Identifying and Overcoming Obstacles to Increasing Diversity of Neutrals in Arbitration and Mediation
Even as legal departments, law firms, and law schools have taken steps to increase diversity and inclusion in the legal profession, diversity among mediators and arbitrators lags behind other aspects of the legal profession. The need for diversity among mediators and arbitrators cannot be denied – open-mindedness and varied life experiences can only enhance and improve the experiences and outcomes for ADR participants. Despite that, the process by which mediators and arbitrators are selected still penalizes women and people of color by denying them the opportunity to gain the experience of the more often used “tried and true” mediators and arbitrators, the vast majority of whom are white men. A panel of seasoned mediators and arbitrators will discuss the impediments to progress in achieving diversity among arbitrators and mediators, as well as actionable steps in-house counsel and outside counsel can take to promote diversity in the ADR arena.
The IADC is proud to work with our strategic partner CPR on this Webinar.
- Appreciate that inherent biases that everyone has impacts parties' and participants views of the ADR process.
- Understand that diversity among neutrals and mediators is critical to the integrity of the ADR process.
- Identify strategies and actionable steps that each attendee can take to further the goals of achieving greater diversity among arbitrators and mediators.
- Awareness of obstacles in lacking diverse mediators and arbitrators
- Ability to develop strategies to overcome any implicit or other biases to retain diverse neutrals
- Develop a more diverse group of mediators and arbitrators to serve clients
Brandee J. Kowalzyk, Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough LLP, Atlanta, Georgia USA
Kabir Duggal, PhD, Arnold & Porter Kaye Scholer LLP, New York, New York USA
Sherylle A.O. Francis, Sherylle Francis P.A., Southwest Ranches, Florida USA
Tamula Yelling, Hibbett Sports, Birmingham, Alabama USA
For information on any upcoming Webinar, please visit the Webinar page on the IADC website.