This Webinar is a collaboration of the International Association of Defense Counsel and International Institute for Conflict Prevention and Resolution.
Moving a Case from the Trial Court to Arbitration in the Era of COVID-19
The COVID-19 pandemic is causing unprecedented disruptions and impact to the world’s economy and many business relationships. In addition, this global crisis has resulted in the slowing down of and, in many instances, completely halting the trials of pending court cases. This consequence of the pandemic exacerbates an already significant backlog of cases in many courts.
To avoid further delays in the resolution of your legal dispute, lawyers should consider converting a pending court case to an arbitration. The IADC and its strategic partner, the International Institute for Conflict Prevention and Resolution (CPR), have assembled a team of legal professionals to present this Webinar on how to make this forum switch. This Webinar will allow you to hear from trial attorneys, an associate general counsel, and a neutral who will:
- Offer effective suggestions on how to approach the topic with opposing counsel of moving a case from litigation to arbitration, and highlight the benefits of resolving a case now as opposed to months down the road when jury trials may resume;
- Discuss the mechanics of moving the case from the courthouse to arbitration where discovery may still need to be conducted or dispositive rulings need to be made;
- Outline the potential language of an arbitration submission agreement that complies with the U.S. Federal Arbitration Act and International Arbitration Rules; and
- Share their experiences on how to achieve successful results in moving the case from the judge to a neutral.
Michael A. Airdo, Kopon Airdo, LLC, Chicago, Illinois USA
James M. Campbell, Campbell Conroy & O'Neil, Boston, Massachusetts USA
Judge Faith Hochberg, FCIARB, Hochberg ADR, LLC, and CPR Distinguished Neutral, New York, New York USA
Connie Matteo, Pfizer Inc., New York, New York USA
Dixie T. Wells, Ellis & Winters LLP, Greensboro, North Carolina USA
If you have any questions, please contact Melisa Maisel Vanis, Director of Professional Development, at email@example.com.
IADC Zoom Links
If you’ve registered for a virtual IADC meeting and have had difficulty locating your Zoom link (each registrant receives a specific link to them), below are some helpful tips:
- After registering, you will receive an email from the IADC staffer coordinating the meeting which uses this firstname.lastname@example.org address to send your link. Please be sure you whitelist that address as it could get caught in your spam filters. In addition, you are able to add the meeting and your Zoom link to your calendar through this email.
- NEW! Your IADC website profile. We recently updated member profiles to include your links to any virtual IADC meeting for which you are registered. Go to your account, and when you click to view/edit your account, go to the “Meeting Participation” tab. There you'll find “Upcoming Virtual Meetings/Virtual Links” which includes your Zoom link for each of your registered meetings. You can copy and paste your specific Zoom link into your browser to join the meeting.