The Ethical Line Between Candor and Zealous Advocacy
This Webinar will focus on the tension between the duty of candor to the tribunal and the duty of zealous advocacy, including the specific ethical and firm risk management implications. Speakers will discuss how this tension can occur, what to do if you have a client that wants to push the envelope a little too far, when to get your firm general counsel involved, and how to protect yourself and the firm from sanctions from the tribunal, but also from a dissatisfied client.
- Identify the ethical rules and issues that are implicated when the duty of zealous advocacy conflicts with the duty of candor towards the tribunal.
- Identify situations where it would be appropriate to involve the attorney's firm's general counsel for guidance and protection from risk of sanctions or an unhappy client.
- Navigate client demands when they could run afoul of ethical obligations towards the court.
- The duty of candor to the tribunal trumps the duty of zealous advocacy.
- You can be persuasive without being dishonest.
Janelle L. Davis, Thompson & Knight LLP, Dallas, Texas USA
Hon. Tonya Parker, 116th Civil District Court, Dallas, Texas USA
Nicole Williams, Thompson Coburn LLP, Dallas, Texas USA
For information on any upcoming Webinar, please visit the Webinar page on the IADC website.